What this is about...

I started this blog because I have a strong interest in strategic planning, increasing revenue while maintaining organisational integrity, and making museums engaging places that are accessible to the widest audience possible. It is my goal to start conversations or trains of thought that can help museum stakeholders improve their organisation.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

It's been too long!

In the process of changing continents, I dropped the upkeep ball. I've seen a lot of great articles in the last month and a half, but just have a couple to share. One is from an art history blog, and one is about a developing story.

Linked below is a two part article about museum security. It's interesting advice for all sizes of museum. One of the points is to have your security guards greet guests. Don't have security guards? A volunteer who is willing to just say "hi" or "hello" can be just as effective. As the article reminds us under point number 4 (about CCTV use), surveillance is a great deterrent. If would-be thieves and vandals feel they've been noticed, they're less likely to commit a crime.

Part One and Part Two

The other article that really got my interest this week was about the Chinese mummies that are/are not on display at the Penn Museum right now. On one hand, the Chinese say this is a simple problem of not checking all of the bureaucratic ins and outs, while the director of the museum says it's all one big misunderstanding. If I had to make my staff replace objects with photos and papier-mache, I would be very disheartened. They say the visitors like it, but I keep going back to grad school discussions about the power of the object and reproductions. Has anyone seen the mummies at any point in their current tour, or the exhibit at the Penn?

No comments:

Post a Comment